You may have noticed that we have new hymnals in the pew. They are called the Ignatius Pew Missal . I have decided to buy these missals for the parish instead of the Breaking Bread missals for the following reasons:
- The selection of hymns are more traditional and singable. Literally, one can open to any page and the hymns are recognizable.
- The hymns are in alphabetical order. So, they will be easier to find if someone just hears the name of a hymn.
- It contains a full year lectionary instead of a seasonal one. So, we will only have to change missals once per year.
- The Mass settings in it are lovely yet simple to sing. I generally find them more attractive.
- They have clearer pages and better covers. I think the pages themselves are more readable than the grey pages of the previous missals.
- The missal also contains many great Catholic prayers and devotions if one looks toward the back of the missal.
- They are less expensive than the Breaking Bread missals.
Overall, music is an essential part of a Mass. When there is beautiful music to accompany the mass, then it makes it all the easier to pray and to focus on what is most eternal and essential, God Himself who is the most beautiful. I encourage everyone to sing the mass because as St. Augustine says, when one sings, he prays twice.
If you have any thoughts about the new missals, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
P.S. Traditional Latin Masses are beginning this Friday (5:30pm). The information session is Thursday at 7pm in the chapel. If you are at all curious, feel free to come and experience this ancient traditional of the Church